Dates: Ongoing approximately once a month. Current schedule is September 10 – 8 to 5 pm; October 15 – 8 to 5; Oct 22 – 8 to 5; Nov 5 and Nov 12. Once you have registered, you can attend as many days as you need to complete your bow. It generally takes 4 days if starting with a raw stave. If the predicted daily high temperature is below 20 degrees F, then that class day will be postponed (Perry can only keep his workshop warm enough above that temp).
Location: Amery, WI (register for address and further details)
This class is taught by Perry Anderson and hosted at his workshop in Amery Wisconsin. There will be a variety of woods and styles to choose from, or you can bring your own stave. Instruction will be available at all stages of making a custom bow with a draw weight and fit just for you.
- $100 adult (scholarships available, $50 for youth 17 and under, contact us for discount info). This pays for instruction from start to shooting stage of bow, bow string, use of tools when at class, necessary stave straightening, and sand paper. Reminder, this will take multiple trips unless work is done independently. This fee does not include: sinew, recurving tips, over lays, handle wraps, snake skin, or other embellishments.
- $10 to $100 materials fee for stave (split log), depending on which you choose. You can also bring your own stave if you have one.
TRAVEL: You are welcome to travel independently to the class. There is also potential for carpooling and rideshares to these events. We will assist in connecting people for carpooling and rideshares when possible.
WHAT TO BRING: Please bring your own lunch, water bottle, and work gloves.
If you have personal tools you want to bring here is an optional list:
- wood rasp (or Japanese saw rasp, Ferrier’s rasp, 4-in-1 rasp, or Surform™ tool), bring one. If not, come to first class and get suggestions on what to purchase or borrow.
- draw knife (need most for 1st time you attend) if you own one or can borrow from a friend (or bring a hatchet or tomahawk to use instead)
- * Safety glasses
- Scraper (cabinet scraper or equivalent)
- Flexible ruler
- Tape measure
- Spoke shave
- Sanding block
- Bow scale
For further information, email Perry Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: if you are unable to attend the first get together, you can still join in on subsequent get-together dates.
Once a student has attended the first class, refunds will not be available.